22 September 2007

CNN - Witnesses:  Monks protest near Suu Kyi house

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) -- Myanmar police let about 500 protesting Buddhist monks through a roadblock to march past the home where opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is under house arrest, and the Nobel laureate came to her gate to greet them looking "fit and well," witnesses said.

The unexpected visit briefly joined Myanmar's best-known advocate of democratic reform with the highly respected monks whose five straight days of protests this month have jolted the country's military junta.

It was not immediately clear if there was any broader significance to the visit, but coordination between the two movements, which have been operating separately, could pose a new threat to the regime.

Thousands of monks held anti-government protest marches around Myanmar's largest city, Yangon, where the Nobel Peace Prize winner is under house arrest. Thousands more monks and other citizens marched in other cities in the tightly controlled country. Read the rest.

Could this be the beginning of the end of the oppressive military junta in Burma? One can only pray that it is so.

Added Friday, 28 September 2007:  Associated Press article - Satellite images may show Myanmar abuses which I found via Yahoo! News

Added Saturday, 29 September 2007:  Blog Post - Hope for Myanmar which I found via Blogger Play

Tags:  , , , , &

Newer Post
Older Post

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive me tip-toeing into a different subject - but just wondered how you are feeling about New Orleans and the Statement. I find the graciousness of the bishops remarkable and surprising considering how things are.

17:49  
Blogger writing_here said...

No problem. I haven't really had much time to think about New Orleans and our House of Bishops. I have read some of what the Bishop of West Texas and some of what the Bishop of Dallas have written online. I haven't had time to do any more research on the subject or think about blogging it, because I've been to busy praying that the web hosting servers at Episcopal Church Web Hosting will be "fixed" and back online ASAP so I can resume my work updating Peek Through The Window of the Episcopal Church, a website aimed at the Episco-curious of which I'm now the chief WebWeaver. The servers have been down for at least 36 hours and I'm not happy at being made to learn patience (which for the record I did not request to learn).

20:29  
Blogger writing_here said...

". . . I've been [strike]to[/strike] too busy . . ."

20:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home